Coronavirus latest news: China death toll climbs to 80 with more than 2,700 cases – live updates | World news

0
36


10.05pm EST
22:05

In the UK 50 people have been tested for the virus in Britain and all have returned negative. The current risk to the public is described as low, but England’s chief medical officer Prof Chris Whitty said there was a “fair chance” cases would emerge in Britain. The UK’s home secretary, Priti Patel, has said the government is “looking at all options” to help Britons leave Wuhan following reports that officials have been asked to examine the logistics for an airlift from the city.
You can read our full coverage here:

9.57pm EST
21:57

An Irish teacher living in Wuhan Brett Kavanagh has made a video for Britain’s Channel 4 news, about his daily life in the locked-down city. You can see it below via YouTube, including all the precautions taken to leave the house.

Inside Wuhan: Daily life in China’s coronavirus quarantine zone

9.31pm EST
21:31

Chinese coronavirus cases outside Hubei province

Just on those figures, the government tabloid, the Global times has recently tweeted figures of cases in provinces across China. The next most infections outside of Hubei (1,423 cases), is in Guangdong, which has 146 cases. Henan and Zhejiang provinces each have 128 cases.

Global Times
(@globaltimesnews)
#Update: #Coronavirus cases in provinces of China:Guangxi: 46Inner Mongolia: 11Gansu: 14Qinghai: 4 Heilongjiang: 21Zhejiang: 128 Guangdong: 146Jilin: 6Hebei: 18Chongqing: 110Yunnan: 19 https://t.co/2gUF10gKCd

January 27, 2020

Global Times
(@globaltimesnews)
#Update: #Coronavirus cases in provinces of China:Guizhou: 7Anhui: 70Jiangsu: 47Shandong: 63 Henan: 128 Shanghai: 53Sichuan: 69Tianjin: 14Hong Kong: 8Macao: 5Taiwan: 4 https://t.co/2gUF10gKCd

January 27, 2020

9.13pm EST
21:13

Given the spread of the virus across China and to at least 10 other countries, I thought it’s worth mentioning that all but four deaths so far have been recorded in Hubei province, where the outbreak started. Of the 80 fatalities reported by the National Health Commission, 76 are were in Hubei (that’s 95% of fatalities).
The total number of cases reported in Hubei is 1,423, according to government figures. This makes up 51.5% of the 2,761 cases reported so far across by the commission across China, Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan.

Updated
at 9.31pm EST

8.37pm EST
20:37

Social media is reporting discontent about the handling of the response to the virus in Hubei province, including the governor of the province apparently stumbling over the number of face masks produced there.

Li Yuan
(@LiYuan6)
Hubei governor misspoke twice about the province’s annual mask production capacity.He first said it was 10.8 billion, then corrected to say it was 1.8 billion. Finally he had to correct again to say it was 1.08 million. He’s become a symbol of incompetence. The public is furious. https://t.co/AzPx096DKb

January 27, 2020

8.35pm EST
20:35

Keeping track of the numbers in this coronavirus story is challenging, with things changing all the time. But one figure that caught my attention from the National Health Commission this morning, was the number of people currently under medical observation for the virus. It stands at 30,453. It’s not clear from the statement where or how these people are being observed, but we do know that there’s a huge construction effort going on in Wuhan to build a 1,000-bed hospital for the virus patients. You can read our full story on this 10-day build here, but it’s fair to say the pictures of the construction are pretty incredible.

Race begins to build Chinese coronavirus hospital in 10 days – video

8.17pm EST
20:17

The Chinese city of Wuhan is suspending customs services for four days until Thursday, according to the government-run Global Times. I assume that this is linked to the transport shutdown in the city. I’ll bring you more information on this when it comes to hand.

Global Times
(@globaltimesnews)
#Wuhan is suspending customs entry and exit services in the epidemic-stricken city from Monday to Thursday, Hong Kong and Macao-related services also suspended: local authority pic.twitter.com/6dTzkrN3vz

January 27, 2020

8.09pm EST
20:09

Justin McCurry

Japan is to send a chartered plane to Wuhan, possibly on Tuesday, to bring back Japanese citizens who wish to return home, Kyodo news agency said, citing a foreign ministry source.
The government has so far been able to contact about 430 Japanese citizens living or staying in Hubei province, almost all of them in Wuhan, the foreign minister, Toshimitsu Motegi, said on Sunday.
The prime minister, Shinzo Abe, said: “As soon as adjustments with the Chinese government are done, I will pursue all means, including a charter plane, to realise the return of all applicants” from Wuhan and elsewhere in Hubei province.Japan’s health ministry on Sunday confirmed the country’s fourth case of coronavirus.
The patient is a man in his 40s who arrived in Japan on Wednesday as a tourist from Wuhan, the ministry said, adding he was in a stable condition. He reportedly showed no symptoms on arrival in Japan but later developed a fever and sought medical help in Aichi prefecture, central Japan.
Honda, meanwhile, said it was arranging for 30 employees, including Japanese nationals and their families, to be flown out of Wuhan on a government-chartered flight, according to the Nikkei business newspaper. The carmaker said a small number of staff would stay on in the Chinese city, where it has three factories.

Updated
at 8.10pm EST

8.00pm EST
20:00

Hong Kong has stepped up efforts to stop the virus’s entry. As of Monday, residents of Hubei will be banned from entering. Anyone who has visited Hubei province in the past 14 days, will also be banned from entry. The rule does not apply to Hong Kong residents. Hong Kong has six confirmed cases of the virus.

Commuters wear face masks in the Mass Transit Railway in Hong Kong. Photograph: Jérôme Favre/EPA

Updated
at 8.06pm EST

7.41pm EST
19:41

With millions of people now subject to travel restrictions in China, as the country shut down transport networks in a bid to stop the spread of the virus, some countries are preparing to help their citizens leave affected areas.
Japan’s foreign minister has confirmed that there are 430 Japanese citizens in Hubei province, mostly in Wuhan. Toshimitsu Motegi told reporters that he had spoken to his Chinese counterpart, Wang Yi, and that Wang understood Tokyo’s desire to repatriate its nationals as soon as possible. Japan’s prime minister, Shinzo Abe, had said earlier that his government was working with Chinese authorities to make arrangements for all Japanese nationals wishing to return from Wuhan, including with charter flights, but no schedule has been set.
The Australian government is also working to repatriate its citizens trapped in Wuhan, including about 100 schoolchildren who area stranded there.
“We are working to make sure that there is support for those Australians and we are also working on, as are other countries, trying to secure their ability to return to Australia. At this point in time, the foreign minister is working around the clock on that,” said Australia’s health minister, Greg Hunt.
There have been five confirmed cases of coronavirus in Australia as of Monday 27 January. Australians who believe they have family in the affected areas can contact this emergency telephone number + 61 2 6261 3305, for assistance.
You can read the Guardian Australia’s latest piece on the country’s response to coronavirus here:

Updated
at 7.43pm EST

7.29pm EST
19:29

If you or your family are concerned about the spread of the coronavirus, this has been one of the Guardian’s best read pieces on the illness, including the virus’s symptoms, information about transmission, where it’s been identified globally and what experts are saying about the virus.

7.26pm EST
19:26

Some more information now on the update from China’s National Health Commission with regards to the number of deaths and infections from coronavirus.

On Sunday 26 January 769 new cases were reported across 30 different areas of China.
As of midnight on Sunday into Monday, of the more than 2,700 cases reported (including in Hong Kong, Taiwan and Macao), the commission said 30 were severe.
There are nearly 6,000 suspected cases and 51 cured cases

Chinese vendors wear protective masks as they sell vegetables in the street during the Chinese New Year holiday on 26 January in Beijing. Photograph: Kevin Frayer/Getty Images

7.09pm EST
19:09

China extends lunar new year holiday until 2 February

China’s state media, CGTN (formerly CCTV), is reporting that the lunar new year holiday has been extended by three days until 2 February. All universities, schools and kindergartens will postpone the start of their spring term until further notice, it says.

Updated
at 9.07pm EST

6.45pm EST
18:45

Hello and welcome to our live coverage of the outbreak of the coronavirus. I’m Alison Rourke and I will be keeping you up to date on developments as they unfold.
The first order of business to report is that the death toll in China has risen to 80, according to the National Health Commission (NHC). This is up from 56 yesterday. The NHC also says there are more than 2,700 infections reported (note that the commission has included Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan in this number).
The news comes as the head of the World Health Organization, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, flies to Beijing to discuss the outbreak with authorities.

Masks are being widely worn in China, including in…



Source link

LEAVE A REPLY