The Department of Justice (DoJ) said any unfair and unfounded allegation made to undermine and discredit Hong Kong’s independent criminal justice system will be vehemently refuted.

 

It made the statement today in response to media enquiries.

 

In the statement, the DoJ said it had instructed David Perry to prosecute a trial involving offences of organising and knowingly taking part in an unauthorised assembly under the Public Order Ordinance.

 

Mr Perry accepted the instruction and his ad hoc admission to the Hong Kong Bar was granted by the High Court’s Chief Judge on January 12.

 

Since then, there have been growing pressure and criticism from the UK community directed at Mr Perry for his involvement in this case, the statement said. Some of the ill-informed criticism conflated the matter with the National Security Law.

 

Mr Perry expressed concerns about such pressures and the exemption of quarantine, and indicated that the trial should proceed without him.

 

In light of the public interest involved and the imminent trial date, the DoJ has instructed another counsel to prosecute the trial as scheduled.

 

It stressed that as legal proceedings are ongoing, it is inappropriate for anyone to comment on the case as it is a matter of sub judice.

 

No one should embark upon baseless speculations, it added.





Source link

LEAVE A REPLY