Learn Technical analysis: Main Talking Points
- Technical analysis is a popular field of study for FX and commodities traders as it can help to make trading decisions with an eye on risk management.
- At DailyFX, our analysts and strategists share several different technical analysis methodologies and practices in their reviews of the markets, which can inform trading strategies and help to shape key decisions.
- DailyFX technical analysis also includes a plethora of research and education on this topic, and this article goes over some of the more popular resources available to traders, each of which are no cost and available to all.
Technical Analysis at DailyFX
Trading may seem simple at surface level because almost every human being has the same ability to open and close a trade. And given that the future is truly uncertain, it can seem as though a new trader has the same chance of winning on any given trade as even the most grizzled of market veterans. But with time and enough examples, it often becomes clear that there is more to trading than just picking the right market and ‘guessing’ correctly a certain number of times.
There’s strategy, and technique, and a plethora of ways to go about ‘trying to see around the next corner’ in order to attain desirable results. Like most other endeavors in life, this usually takes time and experience for an individual to learn how to best do this for themselves.
One of the keys often incorporated along the way is technical analysis, or the premise of using the chart and past price movements to help make trading decisions. Technical analysis is simply an examination of the past, and this is often carried out with a chart to try to identify patterns or scenarios that could give the trader ideas as to how to best move forward in a given market.
Getting Started with Technical Analysis: Learning the Basics
1. Swat up on the basics with our Technical Analysis for Beginner’s guide
Building a solid foundation of the core elements of technical analysis is key for any trader looking to progress and succeed in trading. How can technical analysis improve your trades across the financial markets, and what are the key tools, concepts, charts and indicators required to master your technique? Learn more in our guide to the basics of technical analysis.
2. Get a comprehensive introduction to the application of technical analysis with DailyFX Trading Education
At DailyFX our trading education section includes a dedicated module compiled over a range of articles covering the main areas of technical analysis. Here you can explore key concepts such as chart reading, using technical indicators, and how time frame analysis and sentiment analysis to assist with buy/sell decisions. to assist with buy/sell decisions.
3. Get to grips with Price Action: A popular field of technical analysis
A field within technical analysis that is quite popular on DailyFX is price action, which is the study of price movements without the assistance of indicators. The articles listed below can help improve your understanding and boost your confidence in this field:
Uncover the foundational concepts of price action trading
Observing the principals of using price charts to reveal trade opportunities
Price action can expose certain ‘swings’ during market trends
Implementing the fundamental price action techniques of support and resistance can lead to identifying breakout trades
Delve deeper into price action analysis with pin bars and candlesticks
Learn how to use price action to effectively employ sound risk management parameters
Keep emotions in check by using trailing stops to erase ‘what if’ scenarios
4. Sign up to our weekly webinar series on scalping
DailyFX Technical Strategist, Michael Boutros has put considerable work into…